Your home should be one of the safest places for your family, and it should stay that way, since it’s where you live and spend most of your time. Besides, it’s also one of your most expensive possessions.
However, there are certain health hazards that may compromise safety at home. Here are five facts about radon, a naturally-occurring gas:1. Radon can get into your home through a variety of ways.
According to the World Health Organization, radon can seep into homes through several entry points, including racks and gaps in walls, floors, slab, pipes, and drains.
The organization also pointed out that there is a greater concentration of radon on ground floors, basements, and cellars.2. You can get exposed to it without knowing it.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency defines radon as an invisible, tasteless, and odorless gas. In other words, you may already be exposed to it without you even noticing it, until health problems begin to develop.3. It can cause cancer.
Long term exposure to this radioactive gas cause cancer. In fact, thousands of people die due to radon exposure.4. Smokers are at greater risk of getting lung cancer with radon exposure.
Smoking and radon exposure are the two leading causes of lung cancers. When you smoke, and your home has high levels of radon, your chances of developing lung cancer increase. In Utah alone, 100 people die of lung cancer every year.5. Testing is the only way to determine if your home contains this radioactive gas.
Since you cannot see, taste, or smell this naturally-occurring, radioactive gas, there is no other way to establish its presence in your home except through radon testing. Salt Lake City specialists offer testing for radon that’s not as expensive as you may think.
Radon is just one of many harmful chemicals that may be present in your home. Have your house tested to know if you’re safe.