MouldsMoulds and mildew are some of the common types of fungi that you can find in homes around Sydney. While many Australians consider these as simply annoying growths, moulds and mildew can affect the structural integrity of a home and the health of its inhabitants.

Before you ignore the moulds and mildew in your home, you should be aware of the following:

1. They can grow anywhere in your home.

Any area in your home that has excess moisture in it – particularly those that are near and around the pipes – can become a breeding ground for moulds and mildew. This means that you can already have these types of fungi growing in your home without you knowing about it. Moulds and mildews can grow inside walls, under the sink and on the underside of your floors. As explained by plumbers, Sydney homes with excessive mould growth on pipes can suffer from leaks and premature damage.

2. They can multiply and spread fast.

Within just a matter of a few days, moulds and mildew can start reproducing and spreading in many other parts of your home. This can happen when there is excess moisture. Signs of mould and mildew include unpleasant odour and unsightly white, gray, green, or black patches around your home.

3. They can produce and release toxins into the air.

While not all moulds and mildew are harmful, some types produce mycotoxins. Constant exposure to these can pose health risks to the inhabitants of your home. Some studies also show mould and mildew contributing to allergies and asthma attacks.

In most cases, leaky pipes, broken HVAC systems and poor insulation are the culprits of excess moisture in your home. To ensure your home remains mould-free, check problem areas and have these fixed immediately.

About The Author